Website with SSL certificate
What is SSL certificate?
SSL( Secure Sockets Layer) is a small data file that is a global standard security technology that enables encrypted communication between a web browser and a web server, which has to be installed on a web server after installation. It activates the padlock and the https protocol, which allows secure connections from a web server to a browser. It is utilized by online businesses and individuals to decrease the risk of sensitive information such as credit card numbers, usernames, passwords, emails, etc., from being stolen or tampered by hackers and identity thieves.
Why Do I Need An SSL Certificate?
SSL Certificates helps in protecting sensitive information such as credit card information, usernames, passwords, etc. It also:
- Keeps data secure between servers
- Increases your Google Rankings
- Builds/Enhances customer trust
- Improves conversion rates
Types of SSL
- Single– secures one fully-qualified domain name or subdomain name
- Wildcard- covers one domain name and an unlimited number of its subdomains
- Multi-Domain– secures multiple domain names
and the level of validation needed, such as:
- Domain Validation– this level is the least expensive, and covers basic encryption and verification of the ownership of the domain name registration. This type of certificate usually takes a few minutes to several hours to receive.
- Organization Validation– in addition to basic encryption and verification of ownership of the domain name registration, certain details of the owner (e.g., name and address) are authenticated. This type of certificate usually takes a few hours to several days to receive.
- Extended Validation (EV)– this provides the highest degree of security because of the thorough examination that is conducted before this certificate is issued (and as strictly specified in guidelines set by the SSL certification industry’s governing consortium). In addition to ownership of the domain name registration and entity authentication, the legal, physical and operational existence of the entity is verified. This type of certificate usually takes a few days to several weeks to receive.
Where Do I Buy An SSL Certificate?
SSL Certificates need to be issued from a trusted Certificate Authority. Browsers, operating systems, and mobile devices maintain a list of trusted CA root certificates.
The Root Certificate must be present on the end user's machine in order for the Certificate to be trusted. If it is not trusted the browser will present untrusted error messages to the end-user. In the case of e-commerce, such error messages result in immediate lack of confidence in the website and organizations risk losing confidence and business from the majority of consumers.
How to know the website has SSL
There are four visual clues:
- Padlock to the left of a URL
- https URL prefix instead of Http
- A trust seal
- A green address bar (when an EV SSL certificate is issued)